Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Electra Meccanica Solo
From Jerry Kroll's facebook page:
"Electrameccanica Vehicles Solo prepared and ready for shipping to Federal Compliance certification testing.
Note the added "centre headlight" for US motorcycle regs. Gives Solo a 1970's Ford Torino look!
Testing results will be published as completed."

[Image: soloredfront-jpg.11696]

https://www.facebook.com/jerry.kroll.9?fref=ts
http://soloowners.net
Required listening... House of Lords - Can't find my way home
This version kicks. There's just no other way to describe it. Shivers. Turn...it...up!
Disclaimer: No false statistics were supported, displayed or harmed in the making of this post.
The Solo's compliance testing makes me wonder about the SRK's requirement for compliance testing.  Arcimoto plans on delivering a handful of Signature Series SRK to owners by the end of the year.  There is no center headlight on the SRK. Unless the SRK's dual headlights are spaced close enough together.
 Eager to get in the Pilot seat!
(10-29-2016, 01:24 AM)Rickb Wrote: The Solo's compliance testing makes me wonder about the SRK's requirement for compliance testing.  Arcimoto plans on delivering a handful of Signature Series SRK to owners by the end of the year.  There is no center headlight on the SRK. Unless the SRK's dual headlights are spaced close enough together.
Good question Rick.
You could, and probably should, ask Arcimoto.

The only three-wheeler that I know of that got compliance certification without meeting that S10.17 requirement is the wide Tanom Invader.
There are a few people that I've exchanged posts with that claim that Elio Motors got either an official (haven't seen any documentation) or unofficial exemption.
The required positioning for two lights is no more than 200mm or approximately 8 inches apart disposed horizontally along the vertical center line.

Here's a list of innovative vehicles, mostly three-wheeled, and their widths for comparison.

My 650 V-star Custom = 34.6"
Tango (four-wheeled EV) = 39"
Electra Meccanica Solo = 47.6"
Arcimoto SRK = 61.5"
Elio Motors - Elio = 66.8"
Tanom Invader = 83.75"
This version kicks. There's just no other way to describe it. Shivers. Turn...it...up!
Disclaimer: No false statistics were supported, displayed or harmed in the making of this post.
Whatever the compliance regulations in North America may be, the information I have received from the local German Automobile Association (ADAC) as well as the EU regulating authorities coincides with the information published on Philip James´ website (http://tiltingvehicle.blogspot.de/) in that European Union (EU) regulations stipulate three-wheelers to be included in the quad category. They are not crash tested and when electric powered, there are specific advantages in the certificartion process.

Without crash testing, I would suspect that the SRK would provide a much safer option compared with the Solo:
SRK -the tubular roll cage would provide quite some protection. The higher seating position enables better active and passive visibility
Solo: carbon body and composite box structure are non-shock absorbant and might well be prone to splintering. The lower body position would place the driver in greater danger and provide only limited active and passive visibility.
Nothing definite yet on the US or Canadian Solo compliance certifications, but EMV has revealed Solo #3

Go to https://www.facebook.com/EMVsolo/ for pictures and full screen video options.
There are more great pics on the EMV Twitter page at https://twitter.com/electramecc
And on Instagram at https://www.instagram.com/explore/locations/1021792568/

[Image: img_5868-jpg.12029] [Image: img_5869-jpg.12030] [Image: img_5870-jpg.12031]
[quote pid='227' dateline='1477732965']
Without crash testing, I would suspect that the SRK would provide a much safer option compared with the Solo:
SRK -the tubular roll cage would provide quite some protection. The higher seating position enables better active and passive visibility
[/quote]

On the topic of crash testing: it should be noted that while they don't plan to do a formal real-world crash test of the SRK early on, they did have a fairly substantial accident in one.  They rolled the Gen 5 twice, and if memory serves, the driver came out of it with nothing but a sprained ankle.  That was an earlier prototype and the design has changed substantially, so you can't say anything definitive about crash safety based on that, but it's definitely a good sign.
My vote is cast for the spaceage composite frame and carbon fiber body panels of the Solo as appearing safer.  Kroll and the Solo's engineering Team are race car connected professionals. Safety is key and foremost on their minds........well maybe high performance is first, followed by safety.

I don't think either The Solo or SRK are safe, but safer than a motorcycle because of the roll cage, seat belts and enclosure panels to keep the occupants from being thrown from the vehicle.  Kroll stated that the Solo is required to be crash tested as part of the Canadian Compliance testing so we will have some added safety facts on the Solo. He also made the statement, "the Solo is like riding around in a safety helmet."

Note the Solo's door sill in the photo........the wide composite frame.......looks to provide far more side impact protection.   Although in reality won't matter based on a high speed impact. Perhaps both vehicles will be light enough to bounce off that SUV on side impact.

The safety cage around the Solo Racer........now that appears To be adding a safety rating star or 2 substantial!
That leads me to believe that if Arcimoto is going to market the SRK in Canada, Canadian compliance testing will require crash testing the SRK. I also wonder how close Arcimoto is to building and shipping an SRK for USA Compliance Testing? Perhaps I simply ask the A Team that question.
[+] 1 user Likes Rickb's post
To view the entire 360 degrees of the interior...
Click play, place your cursor on the video, left click and hold...
And move your cursor to any interior area you wish to view.

First the white Solo #1...

And in this one, the silver Solo #3...

There are many additional informative EV videos on Dustin's YouTube page: Dustin Batchelor

Thanks Dustin!
"Uh, yeah... I'd like eight Solos to go please..."

[Image: solo8chassis-jpg.12048]

Jerry Kroll said on his Facebook page...
"I noticed the snow tracks of some strange new beast this morning!!
Can you guess what it is?" [Image: 1f609.png][Image: 2744.png]❄️[Image: 2744.png]❄️[Image: 2744.png]❄️

[Image: 15621613_10157868574890612_9149977291886...e=58FB2A93]